Do you feel the need to find an Upwork alternative? Upwork is probably the best-known website for companies who are looking to hire freelancers or remote workers. Formed in 2015, Upwork was the result of a merger between Elance and oDesk. It has since become nearly synonymous with the notion of a freelancing platform, with millions of registered freelancers and clients at its disposal.
Much of Upwork’s success is due to its sheer size. Unfortunately, this strength has a number of drawbacks as well. This is especially true for companies who are looking to fill positions. That’s why so many companies have started to use Upwork competitors when they need to fill a remote or freelance position.
In this post, we’ll look at some of Upwork’s drawbacks and explore four alternative platforms.
Why so Many Companies Opt for an Upwork Alternative
There are several good reasons that companies have started to flock to Upwork competitors in recent years. Many of the problems companies experience when using Upwork are due to its massive size, but this certainly doesn’t give them an excuse for so many dissatisfied customers.
Here are seven common difficulties that companies have experienced when using Upwork:
- The job posting process can be cumbersome and hard to navigate.
- There are often too many applicants applying for the same job.
- Many Upwork freelancers apply for jobs they’re not qualified to do.
- Upwork’s rating system doesn’t take important factors like response time into account.
- Because Upwork caters more to long-time members, it’s easy to overlook excellent freelancers just because they’ve only recently started using the platform.
- The messaging technology that Upwork uses is difficult to use and has far too many glitches.
- Hiring qualified people through Upwork can be very expensive.
There are actually several sites like Upwork available out there. Some are better than others, however, and it’s up to you to do the research necessary for choosing the right one. If nothing else, this list of the four best Upwork competitors will get you headed in the right direction.
Credo has become a viable Upwork competitor primarily because of its vetting process. With many freelance platforms, all you have to go on is the candidate’s portfolio. However, their portfolio may or may not be truly indicative of the candidate’s abilities. Credo attempts to address this issue by assessing their freelancers in advance.
Additionally, Credo’s providers all work in the SEO and marketing fields. When you visit their site, you can be very specific about the type of services you need. When you add this level of specialization to Credo’s thorough vetting process, the result is a formidable Upwork alternative.
With plans that cost as little as $19/month and a 30-day guarantee, Credo is an Upwork alternative worth considering.
The Outsourcely platform was originally formed in response to the high costs and other difficulties associated with using sites like Elance and oDesk. The three main areas Outsourcely’s founders wanted to address were:
- The problems related to locating freelancers clients could rely on over the long term
- The extremely high cost of processing and hiring applicants
- Clients’ inability to hire freelancers and remote employees directly
By resolving these issues, Outsourcely has distinguished itself from its competitors and differs from them in the following ways:
- Most of Outsourcely’s providers are seeking more or less permanent remote jobs.
- Outsourcely lets clients communicate with freelancers and hire them directly.
- Clients have the option of paying their new hires directly. This means they don’t have to pay Outsourcely any additional fees.
- Outsourcely allows clients to hire directly so that their services are subscription-based.
- The platform has advanced communication technologies that make the recruitment/hiring process much more straightforward.
Fiverr performs many of the same services as Upwork does, but they deliver them in a very distinct way. In fact, it’s a destination site for companies who need quirky services they just can’t find anywhere else. Here are some of the other ways that Fiverr distinguishes itself from sites like Upwork:
- It’s designed to help clients accomplish particular tasks.
- Top-rated providers on Fiverr sometimes charge very high fees.
- However, Fiverr accounts are free, and clients are allowed to communicate with candidates before they place an order.
So while Fiverr is certainly an Upwork alternative, it operates very differently than the other platforms on this list and should typically be used for tasks you probably wouldn’t use Upwork for.
Textbroker is similar to Fiverr in that it’s an Upwork alternative that functions a bit differently than other freelancing platforms. Focusing exclusively on freelance writing projects, Textbroker gives you access to writers from every part of the world. This means you won’t have a problem finding one who can express your company vision in words. Here’s how Textbroker works:
- After creating an account, clients post a description of exactly what type of content they need.
- The request is then matched to a Textbroker writer whose skill set is appropriate to it.
- The writers are organized by cost and skill level, which lets clients decide what they’re willing to pay.
- If the writer you selected can’t finish your project, Textbroker assigns to another qualified writer.
The most significant disadvantage to Textbroker’s services is that there is little communication between clients and their selected writers. This may or may not become an issue, depending on how satisfied you are with the finished product. That’s why it might be wise to pay for better quality.
Upwork Competitors: The Takeaway
Companies rely on freelancers and remote workers more than ever these days, so it’s important to hire the right ones. Upwork might have been the gold standard at one time, but that’s not really the case anymore. Besides that, finding the right people is more a matter of fit than a one-size-fits-all solution. The next time you need to hire a freelancer, do yourself a favor and consider an Upwork alternative. We think you’ll be glad you did.